Join the Fun and Volunteer
It takes a village to raise a child. Do you have time to share? The Booth Free School PTO is 100% volunteer. Events and fundraising happen because of caring people like you. Join us in the gratifying efforts the PTO makes to support the Booth Free School children. If you would like to volunteer, please contact the PTO at [email protected].
2020-21 Opportunities (last updated 9-28-20)
Outdoor Classroom/Garden Bandits: To continue our effort to provide outdoor classroom spaces, the PTO is looking for families (aka “Garden Bandits”) to adopt and care for sections of the community garden for the school year. Rather than planting food crops in the garden during the 2020-21 school year (since we cannot share our bounty together due to COVID), we will be focusing on pollinator and bird-friendly plantings to provide STEM learning opportunities for our students.
We are fortunate to have a parent volunteer with a horticulture degree and background to guide this effort, but it is too large of an undertaking to tackle alone. Thankfully the Martinelli and Benner families have also already signed on to care for sections of the garden, but we have several sections left to adopt. Can we count on you and your family to “adopt a plot”?
This commitment will entail (under the guidance of our lead parent volunteer):
- Attending an “introduction” to your plot meeting and possible group fall clean-up opportunity
- Remaining fall clean-up (finish weeding, tidying up at a time of your choice by November 1st)
- Spring clean-up (tidying up and readying beds for planting at a time of your choice by April 1)
- Possibly participating in a spring community planting day in April/May
- Visiting your plot to weed and possibly help water 1-2 times per month at a time of your choice from May-August
Many hands make light work—if we have enough interest we can even assign two families per plot to share in this important and rewarding volunteer effort.
If interested please email [email protected], so that we can start “digging in.”
Book Fair Co-chairperson: Although the October 2020 book fair is online, we’d like to have a co-chairperson to shadow the current chairperson so that they are ready to assist with the (hopefully in-person) book fair we are planning for the spring. Please email [email protected] if you are interested.
Lyman Orchard Pie Sale Helpers: We are looking for volunteers to help distribute pies at the pickup station. You’ll be outside in the breezeway by the BFS gym and can work in 15 minute shifts on Tuesday, November 24 from 2:15-3:30 p.m. Please email Megan Hodge at [email protected], if you are able to help.
PTO Website Master: Our current PTO webmaster has been maintaining the BFS PTO website for the past 5 years and will be moving up to be a Shepaug parent next year. We’re looking for a new website master to fill her shoes and begin learning the ropes this year. This is a great opportunity to volunteer and support the Booth Free School community from the comfort of your home and at times that fit your schedule.
- Some experience with WordPress or other website management platform is a must
- Tasks include: webpage updating/creation, event calendar posting, online form creation and report generation, functionality assistance
- Time commitment: approx. 2-5 hours per month on average throughout the school year
This volunteer role could also be shared between multiple people who could take on different website tasks/responsibilities. Please email [email protected] if you are interested.
Current Volunteer Sign-up Sheets
No sheets currently available at this time.
Please login to view and edit your volunteer sign ups.